This week’s unpopular opinion is my hatred of perfume. Cologne, body spray, scented moisturizer, whatever you want to call it, I find it gross.
Reasons why it sucks:
– They charge outlandish amounts of money purely for branding.
– It’s 80% chemicals and 20% water (rough estimate, I’m no scientist).
– No matter how ‘good’ it smells, it always results in nausea and/or a headache.
– A lot of people are allergic, so you may be putting someone at risk.
– There have been theories that people are unable to choose a suitable partner because they are unable to smell their pheromones. So you’re not attracting anyone with your store-bought scent, you’re actually distracting them.
– It’s difficult to think of anything more pretentious, frivolous, and (to borrow a phrase from the internet) “first-world-y”.
– The advertisements are absolutely ridiculous – ranging from spies to fairies and always excessively airbrushed – all for a bottled smell.
– It’s literally poison.
– I repeat: bottled smell.
– It’s nearly impossible to apply properly, since if I can smell it, it’s too much.
– It burns your eyes/nose/mouth when you put it on and leaves a little scent-cloud in your room for 15 minutes.
– You smell so much better than a cupcake/flower/fruit/plant/idea celebrity or brand!
The only redeeming quality I can think of is that the bottles look nice on a dresser… Suffice to say, you can cross this off your list of gift ideas for moi!