Happy 2014! January means back to school, back to the gym, and back to healthy eating after plenty of Christmas feasting.
As I restocked my fridge at school I decided I wanted to try to recreate the delicious grilled veggie & goat cheese sandwich from Williams Cafe. After a few tries I’ve almost perfected it and thought I’d share this quick and filling vegetarian meal idea.
I used zucchini, red bell pepper, portobello mushroom, and baby onions (I’m trying them out after wasting far too many half-used-full-onions).
Cut into even (thin) slices to ensure uniform cooking and equal cooking time.
Coat with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, rosemary and garlic.
Preheat grill pan to medium-low heat.
Get the slow-cooking veggies on first. I prefer my onions really cooked down so I added those and the bell peppers a good 5 minutes before the rest.
Add the rest of the veggies.
Flip as needed.
But not too frequently if you want those really pretty grill marks to show.
Make some room for your bread.
Warm it up.
Spread a generous amount of goat cheese on the side while the other half warms.
Stack it up.
Gobble it down.
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 10-15 min (depending on veggies used and how tender you prefer them)
Clean Up: 5 min
– The bell peppers really require more time than the rest of the veggies (more than I initially anticipated) let them do their thing before adding the rest.
– The portobello mushrooms can be deceiving, especially if marinated in balsamic vinegar. Add an extra slice for nibbling to see if they’re done.
– Medium-low heat worked better than medium-high for me. I started at 4 on the dial and gradually worked up to 5. I found when I started at 5/6 the grill marks charred the veggies long before they had cooked through. An extra 5 minutes does wonders for flavour and texture!
– The great thing about this recipe is that it’s quick, easy, filling, and a solid lunch or dinner option, especially with a glass of milk. Clean up is also a breeze since all that is involved to cook is one knife, one cutting board, and one grill pan.
– Choose a lovely bread for this sandwich, it goes a long way.
– Another bonus is how customizable it is. I ran out of goat cheese and used feta, I didn’t have zucchini so I used eggplant. Experiment and find your favourite combinations.
Hope your new year is off to a delicious start!